Some simple first aid advice if someone collapses.
Will the police attend?
- Get help. Dial 000 and request an ambulance. Contact security at the venue if you're out.
- Stay with the person.
- Check to see if they respond to simple commands such as “Squeeze my hand” or “Open your eyes”.
- If the person is unconscious and is breathing, lay them on their side in the recovery position.
- If the person is not breathing, start mouth to mouth.
- Tell the ambulance officer what the person has taken.
It is not police policy within Australia to routinely attend overdoses unless:
- Ambulance staff are threatened; or
- Where the overdose is fatal
If the overdose results in a fatality it is likely that the police will want to interview everbody who was present.